Friday, April 3, 2015

What time is it?

Really! What time is it?

I may have a thing about Watches. They don't last very long for me, I'm tough on them. 
The bands break, the batteries fail, the winders snap or won't screw back in after making an adjustment.

So I started searching the web for a new watch, mind you! The one I have is not broken. Ok, so the strap broke after a year and I got a new strap from the local flea market (because I was there) for just $10. I could have bought a new watch at the same stall for that same $10.00 (with the new strap!)

Anyway, I have certain criteria for my new watch when I find it.

It must show the time, and pretty accurately. I intend to learn how to use a sextant as part of my Sailing Navigation skills, and that requires an accurate timepiece. It's no good having a watch but not know where you are because it lies.

The strap has to be water proof. Ok, so the watch has to be water proof too, but the straps are not normally marked as being waterproof. Have you ever had your watch band leak goo when it got damp? Well, Leather watch bands tend to do that. At least for me that has happened, I assumed the strap was REAL leather.

It has to be comfortable. It's not a weapon, I don't need it to have sharp edges just in case I'm stuck in a jungle and need to carve a dug-out canoe using my watch. And I don't want giant buttons that dig into my wrist or snag on my sailing gloves. So keep it smooth.

And, probably most importantly, the display has to be easy to read. My glasses may be encrusted in very cool looking salt from the spray over the bow of our sail boat as we beat to windward in some heavy seas. Arrrrh!

Then there is the night time thing. When I go below and need to sleep, I take my specs off. Now, I'm not blind without them, but trying to figure out if the watch is displaying ten after eleven (2310) or ten to two (0150)  in a dimly red lit cabin without my glasses... PAIN!

So my new watch will have a large digital display on a flat easily wiped clean surface, waterproof case and strap, no sharp edges, easy battery replacement (I plan on being away from home for weeks on end so need to have a spare battery just in case)

Still haven't found it!

Paul



No comments:

Post a Comment